As part of my top tips for Secondary teachers converting to Primary teaching, tip #3 is make your teaching EPIC
The I of EPIC stands for Involvement.
So what does involvement look like in the classroom?
Here are some suggestions:
- Active learning
- Being in charge of their own learning – child-led
- Collaborative learning
- Differentiation (child-led levels of learning)
- Everyone engaged (child/adult)
- Interactive classroom
- Local community (police, firemen)
- Parent involvement
- Publishing work – make it real
- Purposeful learning (audience)
- Questioning (effective)
- Sharing ideas
- Sharing learning outcomes with a wider audience
- Table “experts” – Mantle of the Expert
- Talk partners
- Team teaching, paired classes across years
- Use of additional adults to maximise impact on learning
- Vary the groups (pairs, groups, mixed ability, etc.)
Please add your own suggestions with a comment below.